'L' - The Three 'L's' - Sounding Lead; Log Line and Lookout. A must in the past when approaching Scilly!!
Lady of the Isles - Scilly/Penzance packet ship that served the islands. Followed the Little Western
Lamenech, Daniel - 21 year old Breton intelligence agent who worked with the S.O.E. during WW2 using a Breton fishing vessel 'Le Dinan' (N. 51). In July 2000 a commemorating plaque was placed on the spot on Tresco used by departing and landing agents during the war.
Laughing Man - Rock formation, 100 metres east of Tooth Rock Peninnis, St Mary's. Not far from the Witches Head.
Legends - [vyvy chapter4 p58-77]
Legg - Old Scillonian name (St Agnes particularly). RCG: Walter Legg, Scilly Packet was knocked overboard and drowned, April 7, 1821. He left a wife and six children.
Leggatt, Abraham - Surgeon See Note.
Leggett, Thomas - Thomas Leggatt, gent. To be Deputy Commissionary of the Musters at Scilly. Times: Wednesday, December 6, 1786, Issue 564.
Lethowsow - Cornish for Lyonesse
Leland - Described as The Father of English Antiquaries. (vyvy-p7). Library keeper to King Henry VIII who empowered by the King to search for objects of antiquity in the archives and libraries of all cathedrals, abbeys and priories. [iosjm]
Lemon Hall - House in Church Road, Hugh Town, St Mary's. Built for the son of 'Sam Lemon' (a Sub-Commissioner of Pilotage c. 1808) and the daughter of a 'Mr Hall'!
Lemon's Pool [1888 Map] - Shown slightly west of Crake Dew 
Lemon, Samuel - Collector of Customs, St Mary's c. 1787.
Lentverne - Farm/Hamlet
Lentverne Well [1909 Map] - Feed for the small stream in the Watermill Lane, leading to Watermill Bay.
Leo, Gig - The last gig built on Scilly for Pilotage in the late 1800s
Lereck, Jos - Author of a pamphlet 'A True Account of the late Reducement of the Isles of Scilly. [vyvy p31/32]
Lethowsow - Another name for Lyonesse.
Leucospermum - See Pincushion Protea.
Lewes, G. H. - Husband of George Eliot wrote an unfavourable account in his seaside studies about his visit to the islands. [vyvy p17] 'Seaside Studies at Ifracombe, Tenby, the Scilly Isles and Jersey'.
Lewes, Rev. H. A. - Amateur archaeologist St Martins. [vyvy p47]
Ley Lines - Lines associated with visual, topographical features and their existence is deduced. Lines of Force are invisible but their existence can be confirmed by dowsing. See [tsm 232,ps 166-170]
Lighthouses: It is said, nine lights can be seen from Telegraph Hill.
Bishop Rock Lighthouse
Peninnis Lighthouse - Built 1911
Round Island Lighthouse
Wolf Rock Lighthouse
St Agnes Lighthouse is now disused. It was built in 1680 and was in continuous use until 1911 when it was superseded by the Peninnis Light. It is the second oldest lighthouse in the British Isles. For nearly one hundred years it was lit by coal supplied by boat from the northeast of England. One of the burner cages or 'cressett' can be seen (upside-down in the Valhalla Garden at Tresco). Argand oil lamps were fitted in 1790.
Lilley, Colonel Christian - Made an exhaustive survey of the Isles of Scilly fortifications, more to the point used his impressions to report on the local people and their way of making a living (Gough MSS 1755 f .26, 5 , GFM.)
Ling - Fish once very popular on Scilly. It was dried, salted and exported. Lord Nelson wrote to a fried in Plymouth in October 1803 thanking him for a present of Scilly Ling which he had much enjoyed.
Ling (Calluna) - A heather plant with deep purple flowers in autumn. Dominant plant on exposed headlands like Chaple Down on St Martin's and Shipman Head on Bryher. The prevailing wind causes the plant to form ridges with the flowering shoots lying prostrate directed towards the east. The overall effect is called 'maritime waved heath-land'
Lionesse (Lethowsow - Cornish) - A tract of land said to have connected Cornwall to the Isle of Scilly in ancient times.
Lionesse - Scilly/Penzance packet ship that served the islands. Followed the Queen of the Bay.
Little Western - Small steamship brought by Captain Frank Tregarthen to replace Ariadne. Named after the Great Western. Started tourism in Scilly and was the first Scilly Mail Packet. Wrecked on the Southward Wells in 1872.
Little Western - Old public house on St Agnes.
Llan - A monastic cell (Celtic period).
Lloyd's Signal Tower, Garrison, St Mary's. (See Picture Left)
This tower was originally one of the two windmills on the Garrison. It was refurbished to become the Lloyd's Signal Station seen on this old postcard. The remains of this tower can still be seen at the campsite on the Garrison. It provides accommodation during the summer months. The second of the windmills was demolished.
Loaded Camel Rock was originally recorded by the Gibson & Sons Guide as 18 yards northeast of the Druid's Chair. The outcrop seems to have lost its appearance. It now refers to the rocks at Porth Hellick which in 1932 were referred to as Dick's Carn.
Loganstone, Logan Stone; Logging etc. - The word "logan" is probably derived from the word "log", which in an English dialect means to rock. In fact, in some parts of the UK, rocking stones or logan stones are called 'logging' stones. The word "log" might be connected with the Danish word "logre", which means to "wag a tail". See - The Logan Stones on the Isles of Scilly.
London (St Mary's) - North of Carn Friars
Long Rock Down - East of McFarland Down
Long Rock Standing Stone - Stands in a clearing, in the pine woods of Long Rock Down, SV 9136, 1240. Interestingly it is about the same height as the one Mount Flaggon (8ft). The face is shaped towards the N.E. (Summer Solstice?)
Longstone Heritage Centre - Centre of St Mary's Island.
Lonmenech, Daniel - A Frenchman with an extensive knowledge of the Breton fishing industry. After escaping from occupied France he was assigned to the Royal Navy and eventually became part of the Special Operations Executive (SOE) based at Tresco. See the SOE Jetty.
Lords of Scilly - Ref [vyvy pp 21 to 39]
Lotus Land - A name used to describe Scilly.
Lower Moors (St Marys) - [SV 913, 105]
Lower Town - St Martins
Lower Trenoweth (North St Mary's) - Farm. See also Higher Trenoweth.
Lunnon - Hidden hamlet on St Mary's.
Lyonesse - Legendary land said to have existed between Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
Lyonesse, Ship - Scilly/Penzance packet ship that served the islands.
BACK TO A - Z