MacKillin, Katie (of St Martin's) - See Memoirs [tsm 268/137-140]
Magna Britannia - To be added
Major Vigoureux Q - Novel [vyvy p36]
Maenenescop - Cornish for Bishop Rock.
Magazine, Gunpowder (Garrison) - Also known as the Rocket House can be found at the beginning of the slope up to the Star Castle. It was built at a similar time to the Curtain Wall in the early part of the seventeenth century. As you enter there is the old military prison cell (Hole). This is the best place to start the Garrison Walks. Inside the Magazine building are history panels and an excellent electronic, information diorama detailing Garrison history.
Magalotti, Count Lorenzo - Visitor to the Islands in 1669 who wrote a report of his visit.
Maggie Kelso - The ship's bell is in the Isles of Scilly School.
Manumission - The act of being made completely free (like a slave), done at the will of the owner. Scillonians were still bound to their land and homes by manorial ties and, in many cases, military obligations. They were not considered totally free until 1831.
Maritime 'Waved' Heathland - Good example can be seen on Shipman Head Down. There are two common heather types: Bell Heather-Erica cinerea. Ling-Calluna vulgaris.
Marconi, Wireless - Station at Telegraph. See also[tsm 268/157-160]
Marram Grass - Used extensively in Scilly to stabilise the sand dunes.
Mary's Walls - Ruins north of Toll's Island near the battery, south of Watermill. May be houses of soldiers?
Master Burner - Controlled the burning of kelp. See Kelp Industry
Maybee, Robert - Born in Scilly in 1810 in a cottage which stood to the east of the old windmill on the King Edwards Road (now a track) at Peninnis Head. He could not read or write but had a book and poems written for him. Lived on Scilly all his life working in the kelping industry and war one of the workforce who constructed the Bishop Rock Lighthouse. Died in 1893.
May Queen - [vyvy pp61-64]
Maypole - A tradition described by the museum's curator as "a long but intermittent tradition". In 2007 the museum produced a wonderful exhibition, described in Scillonian Magazine No. 266 pages 48-50.
Melledgan - Islet which is a Nature Reserve
Men - Cornish - Cornish for 'rock' i.e. Menavaur.
Mesolithic - 8000 to 4000 BC.
McDonald - Old Scillonian name.
McFarland - Old Scillonian name.
McFarland Down - North St Mary's.
Men-an-tol - Holed Stone.
Menavaur (Off Bryher)
Menhir - Standing Stone. Article Islander Magazine
Mermaid Inn - The Quay St Mary's. Article Islander Magazine
Merrick - Tern [st]
Methodist Church - Hugh Town, St Mary's.
Min - Also Cornish for 'rock' i.e. Mincarlo.
Middle Town - St Martins
Middle Town Millstone - Shaped from the granite bedrock. May have been used as a cider press, corn grinder or goose crusher for animal feed. Photo.
Millennium Compass(s) - On theTown Beach Parade, St Mary's. Near the Watch House, Tresco.
Mills, The Two - Formally on the Garrison providing directions for the sailing ships, prior to c. 1700.
Millstone, Middle Down - The lower section of a very large millstone pair. This was cut into the granite bedrock. It has been given a post mediaeval date by experts but none seem to be sure as to what it ground. Suggestions are: Apples, Barley and perhaps Gorse (Animal Feed). There are in fact two channels which surround the centre circular platform which might suggest liquids were involved i.e. apple juice. See Gallery. [sah] says the top stone "is built into a wall elsewhere on Tresco", sadly it does not say where!
Mincarlo - Small island/islet largest of the Northern Rocks. Very important breeding site for seabirds
Minnehaha, Steam Ship - Went aground in thick fog on Scilly Rock on 18th April 1910, en route from New York to London. Fortunately not a single life was lost. The salvage work which followed was very profitable to the Scillonians. The liner was refloated on 11th May. During World War 1, 7th October, 1917, she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-48, 12 miles from the Fastnet Rock with the loss of 43 lives [ssmi & snt21p5]
Mitchell, John (Gent.) - Scilly Island Steward c. 1744.
Monkey Pole? - tsm 245/134-135
Monterey Pine - Pinus insignis, Pinus radiata. Common pine on the Isles of Scilly. The Monterey Pine is widely used in private gardens and public landscapes in temperate climates around the world. It was introduced to Tresco by Augustus Smith to provide shelter. It is a fast-growing tree, adaptable to a broad range of soil types and climates, though does not tolerate temperatures below about -15°C. Its fast growth makes it ideal for landscapes and forestry; in a good situation.
Moorstone or Moor Stone - Granite cut from the landscape. Not quarried.
Moor Well  - Now Moorwell Lane?
Mordred - Rebel Knight of 'Arthurian' Legend.
Morval Point - Also Carn Morval.
Mortimer, Wilfred - Wilfred was the only person from St Agnes to die on active service in WW1. He was 20 years old and was killed on the 30th October 1918. See [tsm 248/72]
'Mother Carey's Chicken' - A Storm Petrel. Named by sailor because they follow the wake of ships looking for food. These seabirds can be found on Round Island & Annet
Mothersole, Jessie - Writer c. 1910.
Mountain Maid - Early Pub on Bryher.
Mount Flaggon - North Porth Mellon, near Harry's Walls.
Mount Flaggon Menhir (SV 9093, 1093) - A 8ft standing stone near the Windmill shaped 'Day Mark'. Recorded by Borlase in 1756. See also Long Rock Menhir
Mount Holles, Garrison - A battery site on the Garrison Hill obscured by modern housing.
Mount Todden - Site of a 'watch house' or watch enclosure built on what is assumed to be a Civil War defensive position c. 1648 to 1651. Probably built by the Royalists. The exact date of the building of the watch house is not known but is probably mid seventeenth century like some of the garrison wall defences. Possibly in use up to WW2.
Mountain Maid - Old public house on Bryher.
Moyle, Mr J. D. - Resident Doctor on Scilly, c. 1850.
Mumford, Charles - Part of the crew of the Dolly Varden which attended the wreck of the Plympton. When the Plympton sank suddenly Charles was sucked under and drowned. He was the father of Tregarthen Mumford who established the Mumford Newsagents, St Mary's.
Mumfords Hotel - Now the Lyonesse Guest House.
Mur - Guillemot [st]
Museum of Scilly
Mushroom, Parasol - Very notable and often seen amongst the grassy areas close to the paths. Found from June onwards and the parasol section fried in a little oil and garlic is excellent to eat.
BACK TO A - Z