Letter 'P'

Palace - Cluster of cottages near New Grimsby, Tresco.

Palatines - The German Palatines were natives of the Palatinate region of Germany, although a few had come to Germany from Switzerland, the Alsace, and probably other parts of Europe. Towards the end of the 17th century and into the 18th, the wealthy region was repeatedly invaded by French troops, which resulted in continuous military requisitions, widespread devastation and famine.  The "Poor Palatines" were some 13,000 Germans who came to England between May and November 1709.  Their arrival in England, and the inability of the British Government to integrate them, caused a highly politicized debate over the merits of immigration.  The English tried to settle them in England, Ireland, and the Colonies.  AND Scilly!!  See Thomas Ekins.

Pancakes or Money - Demanded by Scillonian boys on Shrove Tuesdays [lst].

Pandora - 1000 tons vessel brought to St Helen's Pool as quarantine accommodation (lazaretto) in March, 1805.  See also Hornet, sloop of war.

Par Beach (Higher Town St Martins) - {SV932152}

Park, The - Centre of Hugh Town.  This area used to be the Parade Ground for Garrison Troops.

Park House - St Mary's.  Home for the elderly, opposite the Park in Hugh Town.

Parking Ticket - First one issued in St Mary's, 1st May, 1993.

Parting Carn - Hamlet

Pednbrose - See Islands

Peeler - Islands Police Boat after 1990.

Pelistry - An area in north-east St Mary's leading to Pelistry Bay. The name derives from the earlier name of Porth Listry from the Cornish, 'Bay of Boats'

Pellew's Redoubt - This is a rectangular banked enclosure north of toll's Island. This was a Civil war gun battery which had a field of fire to the north across the Crow Sound to St Martin's.

Pender, Norah Eileen - 1929-2009.  Worked in Mumford's Paper Shop for a record 59 years.

Pendrathen, Penthethan Quay - {SV915127} Just inside the Crow Rock.  It was built in 1759 to serve the needs of boats from the off-islands doing business on the eastern part of St. Mary's.  The area also provides a reasonable anchorage during summer months for small vessels.

Peninnis Headland -  St Mary's {SV912093}.  See Notes & Walk [Pen-ynys; 'head of the islands]

Peninnis Mill - Dismantled, King Edward Road.  This mill was constructed in 1726 at the behest Francis Godolphin who was the Lord Proprietor of Scilly at that time and realised the need to restrict civilian activity at earlier mills in the Garrison area.  There is a date stone which reads (in a good light) '17FG26',  another with 'WT' and an Ordnance Survey Benchmark low down on the right.  By 1796, according to Troutbeck it was the only grist mill on the island which, it seems, was not efficiently run, since corn was being sent to Cornwall for milling.  Robert Maybee a notable Scillonian poet (and miller) appears to have enhanced the operation c. 1798.  It continued in use till c. 1834 when it was superseded by the Buzza Hill Mill (Later King Edward's Tower).  It is recorded as being listed in 1954 but possibly because it was unsound structurally was demolished in 1960.  See also Windmills

Left: Penninis Mill c. 1883, ILN.

Peninnis Lighthouse - Built 1911 on the headland at Peninnis Head, 110 feet above sea level. The structure consists of a steel trestle with a steel plated upper section to form a service room below the lantern. Initially run using gas oil it is was converted in 1920 to run on compressed acetylene gas.  Photograph.

Peninnis - Scilly/Penzance packet ship that served the islands.

Penrose, Richard - Collector of Customs c. 1733 to c. 1752.

Pensile Stone - Hanging/suspended loosely e.g. Drum Rock near Porth Hellick

Pentle Bay (Tresco) - Sand here is mixed with shell fragments.

Penzance - Main port for the Isles of Scilly at the Lighthouse Quay.  42 miles journey to St Mary's.

Percival - Old Scillonian name.

Periglis (St Agnes) - Also Priglis.  Area around the St Agnes Church, beach and bay.  said to be a corruption of Portus Ecclesiĉ.

Periwinkle - Beach Shell, pale cream though bright yellow orange to dark brown.

Periglis (St Agnes) - Also Priglis.  Area around the St Agnes Church, beach and bay.  said to be a corruption of Portus Ecclesiĉ.

Pernagie Bar {SV918 172} (St Martins) - Small island/islet

Perpitch - {SV940 155}

Pest House (St Helens) - South of the island and just north of the old quay.  Built c. 1764 and was an isolation hospital which accommodated any ship's company who were suspected of having any contagious diseases like yellow fever, cholera & typhus.  Some records suggest that it was in fact never used!

Pheasant Eye - Narcissus Pheasant's Eye  Bulb grown on Scilly. Late blooming.

Phillips, Nicholas - Chaplain at Scilly 1670 - 1681.

Phœnician's - Ancient civilization who may have visited Scilly to acquire tin.

Phormium tenax - New Zealand Flax.

Pilchards - Fish which were a main source of food for the Scillonians.

Pilchard Pool - Area cleared of rocks in Porth Cressa.  Clearly visible at low tide.

Pillboxes - These are now scheduled as ancient monuments.  They were built between January and April 1941 as part of St Mary's anti-invasion defences.  Like the mainland they were to be manned by the island's Home Guard.  See illustrations of some of these in Pillboxes & DELS.

Pillis - Name for the 'Naked' Oat.

Pilots House (Later 'The Rookery') - House built on the Strand in the late 1700s for the distressed widows and children of pilots who lost their lives carrying out their dangerous work.  Destroyed by the local Council in the early seventies. [gcios]

Pilots & Piloting - During the age of sail in particular the position of the Isles of Scilly led to a large number of the male islanders becoming highly skilled pilots.  The daring, courage and skilled seamanship of Scilly pilots have never been surpassed; many lost their lives in the attempts to bring distressed ships into a safe anchorage.

Pincushion Protea - Leucospermum.  See Islander Magazine.

Pink Granite - Common on St Agnes.  The colour was caused by super-heated steam which was forced through the molten rock approximately 270 million years ago.

Piper's Hole (Peninnis, St Mary's)

Piper's Hole (Tresco) - Said to be a Smugglers Cave.  It is over 200 metres in length.  Note according to [iosjm] there is another Piper's Hole in St Martin's, better known as 'Underland Girt'.

Pirates - Piracy or the threat of attack from foreign ships was, particularly up to the sixteenth century a constant problem.  C.1540 John Leland noted; "Few Men be glad to inhabite these Isettes for al their Plenty, because of Sea Robbers that take away their Cattle by force; these Robbers be French Men and Spaniards"   From this period the number of island fortifications increased.  Even most of the Island administrators up to c. 1550 appear to have been corrupt, no better than the pirates. Little appears to have been done the help the people of the Islands.  tsm 40/174 & 214/108-112

Pittosporum Crassifolium - Evergreen shrub with dark green leaves which have a downy white underside and wine red flowers which appear in April. They are not native they came from New Zealand and are used in Scilly as a very effective windbreak.

Plains, The - An area in the western arm of St Martin's.

Plumb Island (Off St Martins)

Pollard - Rock ,south of the Monk's Cowl, Penninis Head, St Mary's.

Pool Green - Area of grass around the Big Pool near Porth Killier, St Agnes.  There are signs of humps on this green which may be graves of shipwrecked sailors.  Possibly from Sir Cloudisley Shovells fleet lost in 1707.

Pope's Hole (St Martin's) - Small cave.

Popplestone Brown (Bryher)

Popplestones, Bryher - Bay west Bryher.

Porth Mellon, Porthmellin, Pomellin, Permellin, Porth Mellyn - Mid east St Mary's, just above Hugh Town.  Historically a bay of "white sand composed of crystals and talc much esteemed as a writing sand with other uses (like polishing brass)".  Currently used for boat launching due to the firmness of the sand under load.

Porthcressa Inn - St Mary's.

Porth Cressa Brow - Area of rocks south of the Pilchard Pool.

Porthcressa, Porth Cressa, Percressa

Porthenor - Old name for Old Town, St Mary's.  This was once the main town / port, guarded by Castle Ennor c. 1400.

Prideaux, Sarah - Tresco midwife and a Scilly 'Aunt' c. 1796.

Priest's Rock, Priglis, St Agnes - See [tsm 231/51-52]

Privateering - A Privateer was an armed vessel owned and officered by non Admiralty (i.e. non naval) parties.  However they held a commission from the relevant Government called 'Letters of Marque'. This allowed the vessel to be used to attack and capture merchant vessels of hostile nations. This was basically legal piracy, a very risky but often very profitable business.  Speculators provided the money used to arm and equip these vessels and often obtained a swift return.  c.1800 during the 'French Wars' the sea around the Isles of Scilly was littered with privateers from both England and France.  The British being able to use St. Mary's harbour.

Puffin - Notable Isles of Scilly bird. (Old name; Sea-parrot) (Very old name; Coulter-neb or Coulter nose)  They were an important source of meat in the Middle Ages.  Ranulph de Blanchminster had to pay Edward III 300 puffins as part of his rent.  Interestingly the meat was classed as fish and could therefore be eaten in lent!

Puffin Island near Sampson.

Puffin Rent - Historic method of rent payment. 

Pungies Lane - North St Mary's.  Coastguard Station to Watermill Lane.

Pym's Island - May be Newford Island, St Mary's? (Troutbeck)

Pyramid Memorial, Old Town Churchyard (SV 91119, 10069).  Side 1; "Ethel Harriet beloved wife of G. Gilbert Uren who died at Shanghai August 8th 1889, Aged 25 years."  Side 2;  "I Loving Memory John Edwards who died in Constantinople September 21st, 1888, Aged 27 years".  Side 3; "In Loving Memory of C. M. J. Ridyard, Died February 10th, 1952, Aged 89.  Abide With Me."


BACK TO A - Z