Letter 'T'

Tamer - The first Customs boat (a Lugger not a Cutter) stationed at the Isles of Scilly in 1783.  It possibly witnessed the wrecking of the Nancy packet on the Rosevear Ledges in February 1784.

Tamarisk - Shrub used as a wind break.  It grows reasonably well in exposed areas but has been superseded by better species like Pittosporum.

'Tamarisk' - Name of the Royal Bungalow near the Duchy Offices on the Garrison.

Tamer - Naval cutter of 151 tons, was stationed at Scilly in 1784.  A this time the revenue service had been considerably strengthened in the southern parts of England.

Tang - Sea-weed.

Taylor's Island - West St Mary's, north of Porth Loo Bay.

Tavistock Abbey - Situated in west Devon it was granted all the churches on the Isles of Scilly by Henry 1st.  Records from this period indicate that the Abbey was to keep a "firm peace".  One record c. 1209 notes the beheading of about 120 pirates.

Tešn - Island off St Martin's.  Named after St Theona (Teon?). About 43 acres to the west of St. Martin's.  Two Entrance Graves on the Great Hill SV 9090, 1660.  Entrance Grave at SV 9102, 1651. Old Man islet has a ruined Entrance Grave SV 9049, 1631.  Cist at SV 9050, 1630.  On the west side of East Porth, SV 9082, 1635 is a Christian site, 6th to 13th century.

 

Telegraph - The first cable was laid in September 1869 but failed to work, possibly because the wires were covered mainly with manila fibres.  In 1870 another more robust cable was laid.  Cost of a twenty word message at that period was two shillings and six pence.  The General Post Office purchased the cable in 1878 and the cost of a message dropped to a shilling.  See Illustrated London News & Islander Magazine.

Left: The second Scilly Telegraph Cable coming in to Zawn Reeth, Cornwall, c. 1870.  ILN.

Telegraph Hill - [SV91300, 11225]  Highest point on the islands, 165 feet above sea level.

Telegraph Tower - {SV 91200, 12100} This was built as a gun and semaphore tower c. 1803/5 (Conflict of dates could be 1814).  Built by Major Daniel Lyman on the highest point on the islands at c. 165 feet above sea level.  Later it became a signal tower which in 1898 Guillermo Marconi received wireless signals from Porthcurno Cornwall, thirty miles distant. [sah-p53] & [sbh-p41].  Photograph available in Embossed, Engraved & Dated Stonework.  Note: [mt-rcg], September 26, 1812.  "A new Signal Tower is about to be erected on the high ground  near the centre of St. Mary's Island, Scilly".  October 9, 1813: "Persons willing to contract for the erection of a Signal Tower and Post, on Newford Down, St. Mary's".

Tennyson, Lord - Poet who visited Scilly for a few days on his 'Arthurian' journey.

Terwilly - Ringed Plover [st]

Thomas Porth - South of Newford Island also called Shark's Pit.

Thomas, Prof. Charles - Published a model for sea-level change in Scilly.

Thorns - Generic name once given to the men of Bryher.  Always considered to be 'one-sided' or 'lop-sided'

Thorofare - Road in Hugh town, St Mary's.

Three Cornered Leek - ALLIUM TRIQUETRUM - White flowers, each petal with a thin, green stripe down the centre, 4-10 per flower head. Once open they tend to hang down, so you need to lift them to see the beauty of each flower. The flower stems are unusual in being triangular in section. Leaves are keeled, green, and hairless, and the whole plant smells strongly of onions or garlic. Small white bulbs just beneath the surface ensure that the plant spreads rapidly and invasively in Scilly.

Tiberianus, Bishop - Transported by the Roman Emperor Maximus to Scilly (Silia Insula) for heresy in the time of Priscillianus, A.D. 380 [tfi]

Tide Crook - Large fish hook (6 inches) attached to a broom handle.  Often used for conger fishing in rocks at low tide.

Tinker's Hill Cairns, St Martin's - At least four cairns across the hill.  SV 9170, 1640.

Timmy's Hill, Bryher - Centre of the island between Church quay & Gweal Hill giving wonderful panoramic views.  On the summit are the remains of the 'Pilot' Lookout.  No to be confused with other 'Lookouts' on the islands which were generally used by Coastguards, Excise Officers and the military.  It has a clear view to the Western Rocks and would assist the Bryher pilot gigs in being the first boats to meet approaching boats requiring their assistance.  It was probably manned as well during storms in case of shipwreck.   The gigs were launched from sheds in Great Porth.

Timothy's Corner - Road junction near the New Inn, Tresco.

Tin Mining - [snt16pp24-25].  See a most interesting note, 'Scilly 1801- 1821' [mt-rcg], Appendix p67-68

Tins Walbert Daymark - North of Burnt Island, St Agnes. Southeast of the Barrel of Butter (St Agnes).

Tithing - A group of (originally) ten households in the system of 'frankpledgeBack

Todden, Mount- Site of Mount Todden Battery & Watch House. Started off as a Civil war Battery and later an important lookout. See Scilly's Archaeological Heritage 45.

Tolman Point - Old Town Bay

Toll's Hill - South of Tregear's Porth.

Tolman or Tollman Legend - During the Middle Ages at a flight of steps at the Old Town Quay, it was said there was a chain and guard/toll house.  Policed by monks who would levy a toll on anybody setting foot on the island.  It happened one day that Richard Plantagenet, Earl of of Cornwall and natural son of Henry 1st came to Scilly and was asked for the toll.  The monk on duty happened to be the Prior.  It is said that the Earl leapt over the chain to force entry but was restrained by the Prior. Earl Richard raised his mailed arm and struck him.  Having such a strong arm the old Prior was soon dying at his feet.  Before he died he prophesied the Earl's life would be full of misfortune, a prophecy that came true!

Tombolo - A type of sand bar, similar to that between St Agnes & Gugh.

Tom Butts Bed - Rocks, south St Mary's, slightly east of Church Point.

Tommy's Hill - A road in northeast Tresco.

Tonite - A type of guncotton, once used by the Bishop Rock lighthouse to create a loud bang. This was used to warn ships when there was dense fog.

Tonkin - Old Scillonian name.

Top Rock Carn, St. Martin's - Split by lightning November 20, 1751.

Topshell - Beach Shell, grey to purple.

TIC - Tourist Information Centre, Hugh Street, St Mary's :01720 422536.

Tovey, Abraham - Engineer/builder who built much of the Garrison.

Tovey, Abraham - Partner of Nicholas Ginver.  These Scillonians published the best known eighteenth century chart of the Isles of Scilly in 1779.  Wrote up the navigation of tides around the Isles of Scilly, which were recorded in c.1740.

Tovey's House - Now the White House on the left-hand side of the track to the Newman Battery, north Garrison, St Mary's.  See  [sah page 43]

Tower, Lady Sophia - A married lady who had a very close relationship with Augustus Smith.  Daughter of the 1st Earl of Brownlow.

Town Hall - Centre of Hugh Town, St Mary's.

Tre - Cornish for 'Homestead'

Trenear's Porth - Porth south of Watermill Cove.

Tregarthen - Old Scillonian name.

Tregarthen's Hotel, St Mary's - The first hotel on the Isles of Scilly.  Started by Captain Frank Tregarthen in c. 1849.  Frank was in command of the sailing packet 'Ariadne', 1850 to 1858, which used to ferry passengers to and from his hotel to Penzance, sometimes taking nearly two days for the journey.  This sailing packet was soon replaced by The Little Western, a steam ship which completed the journey in four hours.  Captain Frank was also commander of:  Lord Wellington, 1835 to 1841; & Lyonesse, 1841 to 1850.  He commanded the Little Western from 1859 to 1870.

Tregarthen's - Gig donated by Tregarthen's Hotel.

Tregear's Porth - South of Watermill Cove, Northeast St Mary's.

Trenoweth - Area of St Mary's

Trenoweth Horticulture Centre - Opened in 1967 by Queen Elizabeth.  This island horticultural resource had its beginnings as a MAFF-funded satellite of a mainland experimental station to study narcissi.  Has since developed into an independent concern owned and managed by a board of local growers largely funded by the growers themselves.

Trenwith, Victor - Scilly entrepreneur, Actor & Bus owner.  80 years old in 1981.

Tresillians - A family recorded as having held the Captaincy of Scilly.

 

 

Tresco - The second largest of the islands at approximately 735 acres.  Famous for the world famous tropical gardens see below.  Historical names: Trescaw, Iniscaw, St Nicholas Isle,  Rascow

Tresco Abbey - Designed by Augustus Smith as his home.  Started in the mid 1830's and finished by 1843.  The square tower was added by Thomas Algernon Dorrien Smith, Augustus Smith's nephew and heir in 1891.  Note the crude dressed granite on the base of the tower, it is similar to that found on the Post Office in Hugh Town, St Mary's.

Left: Tresco Abbey c. 1883, ILN.

Tresco Gardens - World famous sub tropical gardens.  See Gardens at Tresco.

Tresco Lily - Watsania Ardenii

Trevellick - Old Scillonian name.

Trevellick, William - It is said that he was the first farmer to send narcissus from his Rocky Hill Farm to Covent Garden c. 1879.

Trevilians - Cornish Family [vyvy p66]

Trinder, Lieutenant John - Commanded the Signal Station on St Martin's (1804 to 1815) in c. 1807.  He married Honor Nance of Tešn on 26th November 1808.

Trinity House - General Lighthouse Authority for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar, responsible for a range of general aids to navigation.  During a survey of the English coasts carried out in 1680, Scilly was found to have been plotted ten 'minutes' to far north, equivalent to about 10 miles.  They were given permission for the first lighthouse on St Agnes.  On the 1st October 1808 a law was passed in Parliament passing all 'Pilotage' to Trinity House.  Prior to this, on Scilly, it had been administered by the Council of Twelve.

Troutbeck, Rev. John - Started in Tresco working for the S.P.C.K.  After one year took the job of Chaplin on St Mary's.  Unfortunately he fell out with his replacement the Reverend William Davies, a feud that lasted till they both left Scilly in 1796.  Troutbeck had to resign when he became involved in handling contraband!  In 1794 he wrote one of the most useful historical reports of the period. A Survey of the Scilly Islands.  He was said to have recited the follow prayer "Oh Lord, bless the sea and the strand!  Protect the poor sailors from evil and lead them to a safe harbour. But if it is Thy divine will that their ship shall be lost, then, we pray Thee, let it happen on our coast."

Troytown Farm - West St Agnes. South of Pergilis & north Castella Down.

Troy Town Maze - Strictly speaking, the pattern is a labyrinth rather than a maze, because mazes, have wrong turnings and dead ends whereas at Troy Town the path will eventually take you to the centre.   There is documentary evidence for the Troy Town 'Labyrinth' going back to 1729.  The pattern laid out at Troy Town is found in other places in the British Isles and in Continental Europe and is often associated with the name Troy because in legend it is said to represent a plan of defences of the city of Troy, i.e. seven walls and a secure route through them.  In 1988, the maze was dug up unofficially and moved so there is no chance of dating it.  Currently in poor condition.

Trysting-stone - Stone with one or two hole in it.  Said to be used by lovers to 'plight their troth'.

Turk - Name reputably given to the people of St Agnes.  Source of this story still unknown.

Turk's Head Inn (No. 3) (St Agnes) - Most westerly public house in the British Isles.  Article Islander Magazine  Also The Scillonian, No. 271, Summer 2010, pages 177-182. [j. dart]   [Alf Jenkin's;  1st Turks Head in Jack Hicks farm house.  2nd where the Post office is.]

Twin Sisters - Between Mount Todden Rocks & Water Rocks.

Tyrrell, Captain William - Sent to Scilly c. 1549 to report on Scilly's defences.


BACK TO A - Z